FAQs & Safety

While enjoying your candle please be safe!

It is very important that you burn candles responsibly. Please follow these guidelines to ensure their safe use, and provide you with maximum burn time. 

  • For the first burn, make sure the wax melts to the sides of the jar.
    This will help prevent tunneling, give it an even burn, and extend the life of your candle.
  • Always keep burning candles within sight.
    Even if you're just leaving the room, extinguish your candles. Be sure the wick ember is no longer glowing.
  • Never use a candle as a night light.
    Extinguish all candles before going to bed.
  • Keep burning candles away from all flammable objects.
    Some objects around your home are flammable - like furniture, drapes, paper, etc.
  • Keep burning candles out of the reach of children and pets.
    Make sure they can't get to a burning candle or knock it over.
  • Trim candlewicks to 1/8 inch before each use.
    Long wicks can cause uneven burning, large flames, and soot. It is good to trim the wick every time before lighting the candle. If you do not have a wick trimmer, nail clippers work well.
  • Burn candles no longer than 1-2 hours at a time.
    Shorter burn time will help your candle last longer. It will also help prevent large flames, extra soot and overheating.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down.
    Extinguish the flame if it gets too close to the container. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 1/2 inch of wax remains. This can help the jar from cracking or breaking.
  • Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too big, smoky or starts to flicker a lot.
    Let the wax cool down, then trim the wick to 1/8 inch. Be sure to check for drafts before relighting.
  • Keep burning candles away from drafty areas, such as fans, vents, and open windows.
    This will help prevent overheating, uneven burning, flare-ups and sooting. Drafts can potentially blow small items into the flame where they could catch fire.
  • Place the candle-holder on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
    This can help prevent candles from damaging any underlying surfaces or breaking glass containers.
  • Keep debris out of the wax pool at all times.
    Anything in the wax, like wick trimmings and matches, can accumulate and lead to uneven burning.
  • Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room.
    Don’t burn too many candles in a small room where air exchange is limited.
  • Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid.
    Candle containers get hot and can burn you!
  • Never use a sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder.
    It could scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon further use.
  • Use a snuffer to extinguish candles.
    Especially when the flame becomes large, it’s the best way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
  • Never extinguish candles with water.
    Wax and water do not mix. This can cause the hot wax to splatter and could cause the glass container to break.
  • Store candles in a cool, dry place between 50ºF and 80ºF.
    Coconut wax is softer than other waxes and will begin to 'sweat' in high temperatures. Extreme cold can cause the wax to crack and separate.  
  • Teach everyone in the household the rules of safe candle use.
    This helps to make sure that your home will remain safe and prevent fire hazards.